DCS: Liberation interest

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

DCS: Liberation interest

Post by Hammer »

I would like to know the potential interest level in this mission framework. It required generating a mission with the software, loading it into the server, flying it, exiting the server (I believe), generating the next mission, loading into server, rinse and repeat.

This is very simolar to the campaign generator we used to use for IL2 back in the day. Since we are usually doing only one mission at a time per night, would this work? Please read BEACHAV8TR's review.

https://www.mudspike.com/dcs-liberation/
Helmut
gravyy

Re: DCS: Liberation interest

Post by gravyy »

I like the idea!

Plus it gives the slow ass A-10Cs a job to do.

I played with it a bit for single player and the mission prep adding packages and so on can be tedious but if we just have to show up, works for me!
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

yes, the intention is that Grifter and/or I would handle the pre-mission prep work. the only issue would be if we finish a mission and have to wait for myself or Grifter to go through the "admin" stuff to generate the next mission. But that gives you all time to chat about movies, etc.!

EDIT:

I might suggest we start small. There is a Nevada Excercise campaign where we can get the process figured out. We could also start with Syria (everyone has Syria, yes? Expenable?) Golan Heights lite Israel 2000 vs Syria 2011 factions), Syria Inherent Resolve (USA 2005 vs Insurgents hard), Syria Invasion from Turkey (Turkey 2005 vs Insurgents hard). There are of course Caucasus and Persian Gulf missions as well.

Thoughts?
Helmut
gravyy

Post by gravyy »

I've heard guys on YouTube and hoggit on Reddit say good things about the turkey invasion missions
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

My guess is that one mission could take up our whole session on Wednesday night, which is approximately two hours long. However, should we find that we need to generate more than one mission for each session, we could cut down on wait time by running two campaigns at the same time. I could generate one and Hammer could generate one ahead of Wednesday nights. If we finish a mission in Hammer’s campaign, I will have already loaded up onto the server my campaign and we can simply jump right into it! What do you guys think?
MasonSatchmo

Post by MasonSatchmo »

I just read that review , and I say HELL YES!!!
It’ll provide us with a nice cohesive structure that we could really use ( no more mason yoloing a viper to take on 5 migs) , and a feeling that every decision can turn the tide of battle! If you guys need any additional help I’d be willing to lend a hand as well.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Yes, I have Syria (as well as Nevada). Sounds like fun!
gravyy

Post by gravyy »

DCS LIberation 3.0 was released I think yesterday or today

gravyy

Post by gravyy »

Played around a bit with the new UI, Its cleaner compared to the previous version I was on.. I think 2.5 something

I do like that liberation is updated fairly regularly.
gravyy

Post by gravyy »

...and for your planning needs saw this in another r/hoggit thread about an online/web editor for liberation

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/dcs-taunt ... itor/12613

May make things easier if youre going to be running it on the server
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

i know they have a dedicated server setup section and plan to run it there.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Count me in! I'm definitely interested.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
gravyy

Post by gravyy »

Hammer wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 10:50
GR did a review and goes through the MP side of the setup, basically just make sure you have enough player slots in the different rolls for planes that we fly.. ie F18, A10C2, F14, F16, F15 and so on. Click the fly now, open it in mission editor and re-save it. Upload it to the server and go from there

gravyy

Post by gravyy »

gravyy wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 11:49
Hammer wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 10:50
GR did a review and goes through the MP side of the setup, basically just make sure you have enough player slots in the different rolls for planes that we fly.. ie F18, A10C2, F14, F16, F15 and so on. Click the fly now, open it in mission editor and re-save it. Upload it to the server and go from there

https://www.mudspike.com/dcs-liberation/

Once you are satisfied with the ATO and have planned your overall objectives (we did this collectively as a group, which was half of the fun doing the strategy between the three of us) hitting the TAKE-OFF button generates a mission file (.miz). Since I was hosting the mission on a dedicated DCS server, my workflow had a couple extra steps:

Hit TAKE-OFF!
.miz file generated on the computer with Liberation installed (the server)
Copy the .miz file to my desktop computer where DCS is installed (the computer I use to actually fly in DCS)
Open the .miz file in the Mission Editor then immediately save it
Copy the .miz file from the desktop computer back to the server computer
Launch DCS Standalone server and load the .miz file to allow clients to join
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

that seems clunky - WHY open it in the mission editor? to create pilot slots? i thought it was MP friendly already?

if the above is still the case with 3.0, then i will just run it on my local computer instead of all that mucking around. but then i guess i have to copy the results to my computer from the server before generating the next mission.

3.0 is downloaded and installed on the server. issue with window size though i hate apps that feel they should open full screen and stay that size when you tell them to not be full screen and are then even unable to resize the window.
Helmut
gravyy

Post by gravyy »

It has to do with how the mp and the liberation engine see the results of the mission.

In single player you launch into the mission straight out of Mission editor. Didnt go into the hows and whys but the few lets play's ive watched over the last week of liberation they all launch them out of mission editor, in the GR video linked above he goes through the process of spawning into the MP server with the mission.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

we do not like GR much around here (well, at least a couple of us) so we are not likely to watch their videos. There have also occasionally been inaccuracies in their tutorials.

hmmm, what is the need to go into the mission editor in single player? you do not need to make sure there are played slots? or do you have to make the slot you want to fly playable?
Helmut
gravyy

Post by gravyy »

You select it as a player airplane in liberation. If you select more than one it prompts you as it does on a normal MP Mission when we load in. I've launched a mission for liberation both out of the missions menu and the mission editor then fly now
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

OK, today I learned about a likely snag - no hot starts. for one i know i do not have the time to do cold starts, nor have i dedicated any time to learning them.
Helmut
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Cold starts are not a problem with the Harrier. I can do an abbreviated manual cold start and be ready to fly in 45 seconds... but I know that it is not the case for most of the planes. (I can file my tax return in the time it takes to start an F-14 and align the INS, lol...)

Even though cold starts are not a problem for me with the Harrier, I still prefer hot starts. I agree that this is a blocker - hopefully there is some sort of solution.