Are you currently learning a foreign language?

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Are you currently learning a foreign language?

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I took several years of German in high school and college but lost most of my conversational skills within a couple of years after graduation so for a few months now I've been reading German almost on a daily basis as well as writing it on occasion. Much of the language has returned me and while I don't get to speak it very often I try to watch something in German at least a couple times per week so that my ears stay accustomed to the pronunciation. I'm under no false pretenses though and I realize that I won't be a competent speaker unless I win the lottery and can spend a few months in Germany to immerse myself.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Re: Are you currently learning a foreign language?

Post by Bones »

Besides English, I can speak French, Spanish, Polish, and Tagalog in that order in varying degrees.

I only had formal training in Spanish but I speak French more than I do Spanish these days so my Spanish has gone by the wayside. I also tend to mix the languages on accident. So I'll say a line in French, for instance, and in the course of saying it, I'll say a word or two in Polish because at home that is also what is spoken.

I'm kind of a linguistic mess.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I was very fortunate in that I was raised bilingual so I am fluent in Spanish as well. My Spanish vocabulary isn't nearly as extensive as it is in English though.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

My father understood German - What are they saying in this clip ?

Modify my post and see if I care - We're in the pipe 5 by 5
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

I know a little German.
He's sitting right over there.
The Jedi Master
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Get it right buddy!

It should be "Ich kenne kleines Deutsch". ;-)
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

oder ein bischen Deutsch.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Hammer wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 14:01
oder ein bischen Deutsch.

Genau!